One of the important steps in the surrogacy process is taking special care for a surrogate mother. She will be carrying your baby- it is so amazing! Because of the surrogate mother’s selfless gift of the miracle of life, Be Parent strongly believes that every surrogate mother deserves the highest level of respect and care at every step of the surrogacy journey. If you choose Be Parent fertility program with surrogacy, or you are considering becoming a surrogate, the following is a detailed outline of what you can expect to experience with us. As soon as the surrogacy is received, the program is passed to the next step. Everything is so well-organized at Be Parent. Our coordinator is in charge of updating the parents about the progress of the pregnancy.
And Here We StartThe First ultrasound scan is done 2-3 weeks after the HCG test. This Ultrasound confirms that we have one or two fetuses, but may still not show the heartbeat. Repeated Ultrasound is done two weeks after the first scan and the heartbeat will be identified as well. In fact, this is the final confirmation of the pregnancy for parents. From this time, you as a parent are able to be in everyday contact with the coordinator. Check how the surrogate is feeling, arrange the skype/zoom call if you require so, and be completely flexible to ask for any kind of information. The coordinator of Be Parent is sending the ultrasound scans, test results, doctor reports, medication details, and all necessary information to the parents. Our coordinators are instructed and obliged to keep parents informed if there is an emergency, for example, if the surrogate mother needs to be hospitalized or she has any kind of inconvenience or medical complication. Parents need to be fully involved in the process of surrogacy no matter good or bad, they need to be a part of the whole process whether they are here, in Georgia or not. Taking care of the surrogate mother should be the priority for them.
Taking Care of Surrogate Mother Mental HealthThe mental and psychological health of a surrogate mother is as important as her physical health, that’s why from the very beginning of surrogacy, the surrogate mothers go through psychological checkups. During the whole pregnancy we support and cheer the surrogate mother:
- The coordinators of Be Parent are available at all times, 24/7;
- We have constant communication with the surrogate mothers and also with their family members to make sure they are healthy, safe, and comfortable;
- Our agency encourages and supports surrogate mothers to participate in activities that bring them joy;
- We are always highlighting their importance to us and especially to the parents-to-be;
- Of course, all timely medical check-ups are done to them including psychological counseling.
- Psychological care for stress and anxiety;
Promoting a Healthy LifestyleBoth the surrogate mother and the baby benefit from the mother living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Be Parent provides educational training for every surrogate mother that promotes a healthy lifestyle. Topics that are discussed are:
- Avoiding alcohol and smoking;
- Getting enough sleep and adequate rest;
- Mild exercise and walking in the fresh air;
- Self-care and personal hygiene;
Nutrition Monitoring of a Surrogate MotherOne of the most important components of leading a healthy lifestyle for the surrogate mother is proper nutrition. As the fetus develops, the surrogate mother will need to nourish her body properly to protect the baby from a variety of medical conditions and consequences, including miscarriage and brain hypoxia. We also provide educational training to explain the critical importance of proper nutrition for both mother and baby with sufficient nutrients. Nutritious diets restrict the consumption of:
- Junk food
- Unhealthy carbs
Staying in contact with the SurrogateWell, if parents desire, we welcome them to stay in touch with the surrogate mother during the pregnancy. However, Be Parent does not encourage them to do this, because the surrogate mother may start feeling uncomfortable. So, in order to pass everything in a proper way, we need to be the main contact person with them and parents can have Skype conversations using our help if they require it. If the parents arrive in Georgia during the pregnancy of the surrogate mother, Be Parent Team is more than happy to arrange their meeting. This is a great pleasure for us and surrogate mothers feel valuable.
Baby DeliveryIn Georgia, Be Parent works with different Delivery Hospitals such as Imedi Clinic, Gagua Clinic, and Gudushauri Clinic. If the surrogate mother had a previous Cesarean Section, or the surrogate mother is pregnant on twins or has any medical indicator that she needs to perform C-Section, then the clinic will perform it. Otherwise, it can be demanded neither from the parents nor from the surrogate mother’s side to perform Cesarean Delivery. In the majority of the cases, natural delivery takes place.
Planning the Arrival for the Baby Delivery
- In the case there is C-Section planning, it is easier to plan the arrival dates for the parents. However, the exact date will only be known 3-5 days before delivery. For this reason, the parents are requested to be on standby all the time.
- If we have a natural delivery, we depend on the dates the doctor writes in the report for the intended delivery time. Parents are informed based on the report as well.